4.08.2007

Lessons learned...

Well, I'm not too excited to write up this report but there were good times and i learned a lot so as long as i let myslef take the lessons out and put the rest behind me it will only be of benifit!

So, i was suppose to get a ride from Sheedy and his team mate Richard England but when i showed up that morning Sheedy was sick and had to bail, so it was just Richard and I. We loaded into my car and hit the road for the 6+ hour trip to Richmond, VA...


this is my new Australian friend Richard...we had a good time talking for 6 hours straight and we had some fun with the radio and our singing! We talked about everything from training to global warming and politics, etc. O and i have to say congrats to his girlfrined Kate for her recent World Champion title!


We made it safely to VA and I dropped Richard off with the team and moved on to the house I was staying at. Thank you to everyone for the efforts in finding me a place to stay...you are all amazing! Alan Smith ended up having some realtives that lived close and they were more than kind to me! We knew it was going to be cold Saturday morning and there had been talk of snow but i just kept ignoring it and thinking maybe it wouldn't happen...guess what...it did.

this is the house i stayed at and this is what i woke up to Satruday morning. I had to brush off my car...good thing i didn't take out the scraper when it was 85 degrees last week...


When i arrived in Richmond this was the licence plate on the car parked in front of me!


Downtown Richmond at about 7:30am Saturday morning....


Alright, well the short of it is they delayed the 9am race first to 10, then to 10:30, then back to 10. I didn't get in a good warm up and started pretty much off the line. The cold air wasn't agreeing too much with my lungs but we were moving. I did too much work to start, stayed too far up, helped chase a break of 2 riders and got popped on the little kicker hills...sat on the back for another lap trying to get my legs to come back...popped on the inclines again. Road a lap or so with some girls that had dropped off the back and then pulled out to watch the sprint and hopefully learn a little more other than the clear lessons i had already granted myself...DON'T DO ANY WORK WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE A TEAM....Basically I I road a really uneducated race and the worst part about the whole thing was that I know better and still let myself ride it the way i did. In anycase i can't take anything back know, I can only take the lessons out of it and remember what i have learned and move on...

I was pretty whipped when i got back to Banner Elk after jumping back in the car and making the trip home by myself. Luke Cavender (a friend from MI) came into town to visit, check out the school and do some riding. Unfortunatly we got about 5-8inches of snow on the mountain yesterday, but we will make it work. We went to my coaches house shortly where we had a little bit to eat and talked for awhile. Luke brought a dirt bike from MI for Brian and I beat him onto it!


Then i just took it easy for most of the night and got a good nights sleep....

HAPPY EASTER TO EVERYONE!!!

No comments: